The Eau Gallie Yacht Club was organized in 1907 and the first Commodore was George F. Paddison. Three years later George and Gertrude Paddison deeded the property on the east side of Houston Street in Eau Gallie, fronting on the Eau Gallie River, to the Club, where the first clubhouse was built and occupied until 1960.
An interesting bit of history is here quoted in connection with the property deeded to the Club by Mr. and Mrs. Paddison - an excerpt from the abstract covering the original tract of eighty acres, of which the Club site was a part:
"TO ALL WHOM THESE PRESENTS MAY COME"
Whereas in pursuance of the Act of Congress approved March 3, 1855 . granting bounty land to certain officers and soldiers who have been engaged in the military service of the United States, there has been deposited in the General Land Office, Warrant Number 31948 for eighty acres in favor of George Stone having assigned said warrant to John C. Houston in whose favor the tract has been located.
Given under my hand at the City of Washington on the first day of July in the year of the Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty- one by the sixteenth President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln.
Many Club records have been lost; however, it is known that the Club has conducted local, state, national, and international regattas. Probably the outstanding yachting event in the Club's history was an international regatta conducted by the Eau Gallie Yacht Club in 1936. This was the International Moth Class Regatta sponsored by the Florida Sailing Association. Of particular interest in this event is the fact that a "local boy", Joe W. Michael, won the Antonia Trophy (valued at $2,500.00) and a World Championship was won and held by an Indian River Boat.
For a period of time the Club was operated by a holding company. A past member was for a time president of the holding company - Colonel Joseph W. Torrence.
The membership voted in 1959 to dispose of the old clubhouse property and seek a suitable location on which to build a new home and operate a full-time Club, with adequate docking and parking facilities. The old clubhouse was sold and the Gleason family generously gave to the Club over three acres on which the new clubhouse was built in 1961. The Club roster contained slightly over 70 names when the membership expansion program was started in 1959. This was increased to three hundred as of the day of the opening the new clubhouse on December 23, 1961. Since that time there has been a continuous program for facilities development. The property is now valued in the millions, and the current membership is appoximately 900 families.
The Eau Gallie Yacht Club is a thriving yacht, tennis and social club located in Indian Harbour Beach just outside Melbourne, Florida. The Club was originally located in the town of Eau Gallie, French for rocky water, which was settled by French Canadian fishermen. The Club was always the social hub of the area with a modest 300 members in a building the size of a two story home. In 1960, the Club embarked on an ambitious move across the Intracoastal Waterway to its present site. The new location was very sparsely populated, but allowed more room to grow on the 5.4 acres. As the "Space Coast" grew with NASA, so did the Club. At present there are approximately 900 members with a cap of 900 resident member families.
Facilities include a 15,000 sq. ft. clubhouse with a main seating dining room and lounge, each seating 120-130, and 4 private dining rooms seating 15-60, 6 clay tennis courts, swimming pool and 80 boat slips.
The Club has completed renovations that have included fitness facility (2011), clubhouse redecorating (2011), new tennis building (2006), kitchen renovation (2003), replacement of one dock area (1999), newly finished waterfront building and maintenance facilities (1998), and clay tennis courts (1997).